The United States Department of Transportation has adopted the Motorcoach Safety Action Plan following an analysis of safety data. DOT has identified seven priority action items that will have the greatest impact on reducing motorcoach crashes, fatalities and injuries. The items include the following:
- Rulemaking concerning electronic on-board recording devices to monitor drivers’ duty hours and manage fatigue.
- Rulemaking to prohibit cell phones for drivers.
- Rulemaking to require seatbelts.
- Development of roof crush performance requirements.
- Study stability control systems for motorcoaches.
- Enhance oversight of carriers.
- Establish minimum knowledge requirements for companies who seek to transport passengers.
Read the entire report here.