We have been reviewing data from the 2018 Tennessee Health Care Liability Claims Report, which reports data for claims closed in 2017 as well as other data.
Some additional statistics of note:
- Health care facilities paid 46.44% (738) of all claims paid in 2017.
- Medical doctors were next at 28.5% (453) of all claims paid in 2017.
- Dentists paid only 31 claims for a total of $181,000 in 2017; podiatrists only 6 but the total paid was $1,150,000.
- Of the medical doctor payments
- 80 were ER docs.
- 70 were Internal Med. docs.
- 59 were OB / GYN docs.
- 44 were surgeons
- 39 were family practice docs.
- 18 were radiology-related claims.